Monday, November 17, 2008

Barb Singer's Commission Assignment 11/08



"Abstract art should be enjoyed just as music is enjoyed – after a while you may like it or you may not." -- Jackson Pollock

I finished my longtime commission assignment (embarrassed to admit it's been 3 years!) to paint whatever I like for Barb Singer. The task at hand was to paint whatever I wanted in whatever style with only two requisites. ......First, the painting must fit an ornate, gold leaf frame that Ms. Singer's mother left to her. And 2nd, the painting must include colors that complement Ms. Singer's bedroom (see blank frame with aqua colored drape on wall above bed) ......



It took me a verrry long time before I realized what this work needed to BE. I didn't think a watercolor would be suitable because it would not stand up visually to the chosen frame. I therefore chose to work in acrylic. I have discovered that my best work in acrylic is when I create right out of the tube or bottle - and with pure color. Dripped freely, with a plan in mind. I guess I liken the style to what is called "action/abstraction" -- a name coined by art critics to describe the works of Jackson Pollock and Willem de Kooning, among other artists who dominated fine art for several decades from the late 40's on. I watched a film of Pollock dripping paint onto a canvas on the ground and thought to myself "I'd like to attempt THAT!" I felt the frenetic pace of the work build after I laid down the base, went back the next day, laid down subsequent layers of color, and back again and again. Each succeeding visit to the work called me to add more and more overlapping acrylic.........My finished painting?.........I LOVE IT, if I DO say so! .............Painting in this style made me appreciate the true genius that Pollock was........the freedom, yet control, with which he painted. ..... This work is my attempt to HONOR Pollock, not to copy him. ...........

UPDATE: 11/22/08 - Ms. Singer and I discussed the fact that she'd like the painting to be hung in her LIVING ROOM! (see picture of existing space where my painting will hang and replace another piece) .........



I love the "evolution" of this painting. I am happy that my painting has found a home with someone who will love it for a long time to come. I look forward to shooting a photo of this piece as well as others at Ms. Singer's home. Her love of art is on display on every wall and tabletop surface. Thanks for supporting the art community. ........

Working on this piece has inspired me to paint more and more full sheet (22x30) paintings....and perhaps even larger in the future.


Look for new works in my next solo exhibit at SACRED GROUNDS in Edwardsville, Illinois. (below) .......



If you'd like to be put on my postcard mailing list announcing the show, please drop me a line with your name and street address to SusanGHoltzman@aol.com. ....

"Abstract Expressionists value expression over perfection, vitality over finish, fluctuation over repose, the unknown over the known, the veiled over the clear, the individual over society and the inner over the outer."
-- William C. Seitz, American artist and art historian


P.S. I am also donating a piece to CHESTERFIELD ARTS' 10th ANNUAL "ART FEAST" Fundraiser in January, '09. I'll keep you posted if you email me your name/street address to put you on my postcard mailing list. I look to 2009 to be an exciting year for me. ........Very special thanks to successful artist and dear friend, CINDY WROBEL, for her tremendous support and encouragement this past year! Also, thank you to LIBBY REUTER, executive director and curator at Schmidt Art Center for giving me good advice about this piece.

"The artist fills space with an attitude.
The attitude never comes from himself alone."
-- Willem de Kooning

No comments: